Broadcasting Blog

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Did it really make a difference?!?!

So, as we looked over our degree audits to make sure we are on track for graduating, we were instructed to look to find what classes made the biggest impacts on us here at Westminster College. I began thinking about all of the classes I've taken, some of which I found pointless and others that I am VERY grateful I took. It brought me to a few of the most important in my college career.

First, there were a few outside of the broadcasting major that made a very big impact on my life. First, speech class from Freshman year. I really enjoyed this class because it gave me confidence that I could do well in public speaking. Then, I would have to say my sociology classes because they really opened my eyes to see that I can do well and enjoy a range of things. Finally, aside from my theatre classes, which were extremely beneficial to me and my future, I would have to say Intro to Political Science was extremely important. It was in this class, during election year, that I decided I wanted to drop my Political Science major and focus solely on my Broadcasting major.

Inside the broadcasting major, I would have to say that Radio and TV announcing was my most valuable course. In this class, it really brought us into the limelight and made us either shine, or realize that we REALLY needed to work on it.

As for the professors outside of the broadcast department, I would have to say that Dr. Phyllis Kitzerow made the biggest impact in my college career. Her Deviance class that I took freshman year was the very first time in my life that I figured out what kind of learner I am and how to study. It was the first time in my life that I ever walked into a test (the final might I add) and walked out 45 minutes later know that I got every answer right. Her teaching style made me more confident about my intelligence and I am grateful for that. So much so that in the spring of my junior year, I chose her Minority/Majority class solely because she was teaching it. I could have taken any blow-off elective, but instead I chose to take that.

I have more to say about 2 others, but since they are in the broadcast major, I am not supposed to talk about them. I will just have to thank them at a later time!

Until next time,
Kirstan :)

1 Comments:

  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said…

    There are some very close connections between topics Dr. Kitzerow covers in her classes and media. Did you connect on any of those?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home